Wednesday 1 February 2012

Day 3: Kinabalu Day trip challange training

Today is my third day on training to get fitter than my current fitness. As I mentioned in my previous post, the target is to reach Mount Kinabalu in less than 2 hours and 30 minutes. Would I be able to do that? Well I don't know and considering my current fitness the answer would be "NO!! I can't do that". Most probably I would take up to 3 hours or even more to reach the highest peak in South East Asia. If your age is above 40 and able to reach the top less than 3 hours and 30 minutes then you would be considered fit enough for the toughest mountain race in the world. Otherwise you have to do it in less than 2 hours 30 minutes.

After my master's dissertation last summer in 2011 I was so determined to lose weight so that I can participate for Kinabalu mountain race. Last summer in June 2011 probably the heaviest I ever been, 76KG for 171CM. I started my short run at the beginning then gradually increase it to 24KM so far. When I got back to Sabah in July until October I stopped my training because I lost the motivation to run. But luckily, after I saw the 26th Kinabalu Climbathon the spirit started to flame again. So here I am doing it until now. So basically I only been training for 3 months now and I have improved a lot compared to my last year's fitness. My current weight is 65KG, 171CM. My target is to lose another 5KG (this would make me look thin but actually still ideal)

Anyway, I should be talking about today's training. I ran up to red hill which I've done before. But today I made it even longer to make it up in total for 6.4KM up and down. It was great although I was a bit exhausted when i started running up the hill but I managed to reach it within my target. I completed the route in 54minutes 8 seconds.

My second training was in the evening. The first one was in the afternoon. It was okay because the whether wasn't too hot so I thought I give it a go. About 5.30PM I started the four wheel blue car. I then drove the car about 10 minutes. I wanted to run the hilly track of Tenghilan Old road. I did it few times before but this time was different because I wanted to make a new personal best record. I failed!!! Because my best personal record for this 6.4KM hilly track was 37 minutes 38 seconds but I did this evening in 38 minutes 8 seconds. Never mind, it wasn't too bad actually. I knew this would happen because I finished at the 1.4KM in 8 minutes. I usually finish it within 7 minutes 30 seconds. So i was 30 seconds slower.

So today's training I covered 12.8KM in total. This is a great improvement. I still have another two days before Saturday and I'm going to have a rest on this day.

For those of you who have just arrived on my page in my previous post I have mentioned that I am currently on my training for Kinabalu Day Climb Challenge. This is not an event organised by any company but this is a challenge for me as a part of my Training for next year's Kinabalu Climbathon. This is for me and my two brothers in law. Three of us will go for it by the end of Feb. Well we have tried the trial challange up to the 4th kilometer and it took me 1 hour 10 minutes to complete the track. I have another 1 hour 20 minutes with another 4.7KM left ahead and looking at the distance it's almost impossible to reach the top in less than 2 hours 30 minutes. My brother in law took 1 hour 16 minutes which is 6 minutes behind me. So at the moment our initial target is to reach the top in less than 2 hours 30 minutes. Considering our current fitness, most probably it would take 3 hours for us to reach the summit. Or even more! Usual climbers would take 2 days 1 night to climb Kinabalu mountain. Kinabalu Climbathon is the toughest mountain race in the world. Are you tough enough to join the race?

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails